Columbus Circle Marker Recovered  
Thursday, December 20, 2001

So I've Heard Column

The marker at Webster's Columbus Circle is back in place, and an Annese family tradition has been renewed.
To scan back a bit, the memorial disappeared last year when new traffic signals were installed in the Lake Street and Thompson Road intersection. I took note of this, recalling when a Sons of Italy group held ceremonies at the location, and how Mauro Luigi Annese was the last of the committee members.
The marker might have been lost had it not been for Carl A. Camerano, a past-president of the Mixed Lodge, who rescued the memorial from a pile of debris. The town Highway Department returned the marker to its original location last month, according to Road Superintendent Ronald J. Coporale.
"Someone restored it before Mr. (William) Ceppetelli brought it to me." The new traffic signals were installed under state contracts, according to Mr. Coporale. "We didn't have anything to do with it." Matthew S. Annese, the late Mauro Luigi's grandson, and owner of a landscaping and lawn service, maintains floral displays in the town's major intersections. Its his way of giving something to the town.
Mr. Annese noticed the memorial's return and held a ceremony of his own, placing a wreath on it last week. "I took my daughter along for a fourth generation presence," he chuckled. Tallia Emily Annese will be 3 years old next month, her father said. One thing seems certain: Columbus Circle will be decorated again next October and for many Cristoforo Columbo holidays to come. Mr. Camerano and Mr. Annese have both promised as much.
Michael Nouri, star of the touring production of "South Pacific," remembered Webster Academy last week in a conversation with Ethel and Andrew K. O'Keefe of Dudley.
Mr. Nouri, appearing at the Colonial Theatre in Boston through Sunday , plays Emile, a French planter who plays host to U.S. soldiers during World War II.
Mr. Nouri was a freshman when Webster Academy opened in September 1960, and Mr. O'Keefe was a teacher at the school. Mrs. O'Keefe joined the faculty a year later, but she remembered a bowling party she and her husband chaperoned.
The alleys didn't have shoes to fit Mr. Nouri, then only 15. Mrs. O'Keefe recalled the problem in dialogue with Mr. Nouri. Now 55, the "South Pacific" star buys his shoes through a man's sized place in Brockton, according to Mr. O'Keefe. The actor contacted the O'Keefe's after they e-mailed excerpts from the 1961 Webster Academy yearbook to the theatre where he is appearing. "His family had just arrived and he shared the photos and information with them," said Mr. O'Keefe. "He was delighted to receive them."
Mr. Nouri transferred to the Avon School because the fledging academy didn't offer the courses he was interested in, according to Mr. O'Keefe. "He was sorry to learn the school is long gone." Webster Academy, located in the original Webster Lake Hotel, and in other nearby properties at Colonial Park, graduated nine classes. The main building, subsequently used by Brightwood School, was destroyed in 1977 fire.
The Harlow Candy Co. query, raised by Mark Fontanella, owner of Sandi's restaurant, was solved almost from the publication of last week's column. The mystery developed when waitress Judy Wonowski found an empty Harlow box in her home. Questions about its origin brought replies from Leo Gadbois, Florence Lucas, and Romuald Kokernak.
Harlow Co. manufactured candy in a Pearl Street building last used by Anglo Fabrics Co., Mr. Gadbois said. Sometimes, when a molasses confection became too carmelized, workers would give it away to neighborhood kids. "I used to go there when I was about 8 years old," Mr. Gadbois said. This was around 1932.
Harlow Candies had a store on South Main Street, according to Ms. Lucas. "They lived in a house my father built in Oxford," she said. "I used to go to their store when I
-Courtesy Of
Telegram & Gazette

Copyright© OldeWebster 2001
send comments/suggestions to: